Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Morning... What I noticed today

Since I moved to this new house I have the pleasure of being accepted by the 2 hummingbirds who live in the two trees in my yard and the one large tree in the neighbors. A little grey female and her hubby -a beautiful green, grey,& red male. He doesn't get close to me, but when I prune the lemon tree out front or check it's progress the female always pays a visit. She even allows my sons to get close- my son took these pictures- shows her right above my head.
For the first time in my life I have experienced not just getting to see hummingbirds, but I have experienced their chatter. I am learning to understand their sounds, for normal day to day. The song, the clicks, the warnings, the chatter. they are very talkative creatures!
But today was different. It just happened. I am not sure what happened exactly but in the animal world, I actually got to be privy for a moment, and instinct and intuition screams at me inside to be glad I was! So I will not question, I obeyed and everyone seems to be happy I did.

 So here's what happened:I was out by the furthest part of my front yard- I have just begun to start knocking weeds and trying to think about where I want a garden to start:
I heard my hummingbirds chatter. The usual talk. I walked to the furthest left (northern) corner and snapped a picture of my agave- been having fun with sun play lately :
This is when I first heard the sound. Sharp - tone. I am not musical so I cannot place a key note to it; however, it sounded a lot like the beep you get from a house fire alarm when the battery is getting low??? There quick but gone. I thought- huh, weird. I turned to take another picture of the the rock wall the previous owner left me with

 Here at this picture I looked up because the sound came again. I glanced into my fruitless mulberry and say the male flying. He made the sound again- and I realized it actually came from him- but I was stunned to see him do it as to make the sound he actually is thrown backwards in flight in order to make it. He darted over my head. I thought- something's wrong! I briskly walked up to the house- and he made the noise a third time as I reached the porch the whole area went dead silent- not a bird, not a dog- it was freaky quiet- as if the whole world was listening- I listened- by my front door- too caught up in this weird to move-
quiet .....quiet.......not even a car moved..... there! That's it! I could hear a man yelling! Screaming profanities and it sounded from behind my house in the alley... I could hear his voice as he moved!  the warning sounded again, and this time the neighbors dogs went insane berzerkkers! Explosion of barks - fierce barks! then the back alley neighbor's dog went crazy and the man kept moving... I listened -you could hear him as he went for the dogs now took over the alerts! and I could hear the whole neighborhood- countless dog voices raising up in communication- After I knew he'd moved on down the road beyond the corner- and the neighbors dogs settled down a bit,  indicating safe- I went inside to find my cats at the back bedroom window -alert and hair raised, intent on watching down the alley.
Like I said- I don't know what happened exactly, but I am sooo happy I listened. So happy. Gut instincts are happy anyway.

I realize I could just be paranoid. The town's high school's news last week with the student shooter went international, and everyone in the town is still on edge. But this seemed significant in another way. So I am noting it, even if I do not completely understand it.
ps. now that I am typing this to share- my "helpers"........................." are helping...

2 comments:

CricketForestwater said...

Absolutely fascinating! I've heard the warning "beep" from humming birds before, but never have I been privy to that sort of universal communication...at least not to my knowledge. I wonder what had happened.

Janey McK said...

I do not know who it was. Perhaps a drunk who'd had a fight- he seemed to be yelling as if at someone- although I never heard anyone else. He moved on and the animals indicated he wasn't a good soul at that moment in time. This neighborhood I am in doesn't have anything like this happen, -it's pretty quiet here...so it was a moment of unusual.