Thursday, January 3, 2013

Learning as I go... Homemade Body Lotion.

So, I could make a long story out of the why's and when's,  but the short of it is I had a bad reaction to some medicine this last year, and since then I have been researching natural alternatives, a greener lifestyle, making homemade household cleaning items, using less store bought brands, and saving a significant amount of money in the process!
I am still very new to this, and quite frankly I have to buy small until I learn how and get a stock built up. Money matters dictate these things. But today, I ventured my own homemade lotion. And ohhhhh, I am so happy with the result! Winter weather dries out my skin so bad I have to use something. Especially on my hands, and frankly- the more I learn about the chemicals in some of the products I used to buy the more I shy away from ever wasting the money again!
It is amazing the amount of websites and blogs that can be found on DIY home products and beauty products. I have seen so many I can't keep track anymore. What I have discovered is that some ingredients are common- through out, and some recipies, although typed in different fonts across the web and shown in many colors, are exactly the same. So, I started purchasing common supplies- sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, shea butter, castile oil soaps, etc etc.  And today I ventured to make my own lotion (since I am now officially out of my Aveeno lotion).  If any of you have ever wondered, it is super easy to make- and sooo nice! I will not pretend to claim I came up with the how to's on my own. No No. But I will happily share where I found it! All natural, and ohhhhh so good on the skin!
Here's where I found it:   http://mymerrymessylife.com/2012/07/homemade-organic-lotion-a-recipe-free-printable.html
And here is what I made looks like- fluffy, smells awesome, and took away the alligator dry. Yay!

So, one of many baby steps in learning how to go green. I'd love to say 'accidentally green', but that's taken and an awesome title!- so I will leave it with "Janey's Natural adventures" and go from there...LOL :D

No comments: