Monday, November 19, 2012

How I stopped Acne for us

I, like most others, suffered acne during my teen years, and again each time I was pregnant. The surges of hormones is just a killer on skin. My skin turned oily, and oh! the money I spent on products from creams to lotions, to toners and astringents! I must have funded clearasil and noxema for a few years running there. Back in the 80's, the options were limited. And always they over stripped my skin, and caused my skin to produce more oil to compensate -thus a rush and flood of pimples.  Always occurring the worst on important dates and the prom!
I wish I could take what I know now, and go back in time. I would never have had the problem, or the scars. Luckily, I have learned in time to help my sons, and their acne is no longer a problem. I will not have to go to any dermatologists and spend huge amounts of money on prescription acne products. The secret was shared with me from a good friend in AZ. She was Native American, and had been raised by her grandmother to use nature as an answer.
What did I learn?
The very simple solution for oily to normal skin - witchhazel and cotton pads. Witchhazel can be bought at any grocery store and is usually found for around $3 in the first aide section, beside the hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol. Generic brands are fine. I purchase 100% cotton pads in the cosmetic section for less than $2.00. This supply will last my two boys and myself for over a month, and no one is screaming about pimples here.
My routine is: every morning I splash water on my face, and then rub down with a witchhazel soaked pad. Simple. I actually recycled/reused an old noxema acne pads jar with a lid, and I refill it with pads to the top periodically, fill the container with enough witchhazel to just soak the pads, and keep the lid sealed so it does not dry out.  When the boys travel, I usually make them a ziploc bag filled with a few pads and just enough witchhazel to soak them with being drippy. This travels well and they have what they need!
My face is slightly different than my boys- age has given me small dry patches and true combination skin. To solve my problem of dry patches, I now have trashed all night creams and daily moisturizers for a simple $4.00 bottle of organic grapeseed oil. A few tiny drops covers my whole face, and the bottle lasts forever! Grapeseed oil does not clog pores, soaks in a few seconds,  relieves all dry spots, without over oiling the rest. All natural. I have not had a single pimple in a year! And I have stopped having to pay for outrageously priced moisturizers!

It works for us. It is all natural, and inexpensive. 




This is a simple solution for us, but it is not meant to replace your doctor's advise. Use at your own discretion.

No comments: